VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED TO ASSIST WITH VARIOUS DUTIES
Due to the increase in activity and visitation at the Carroll County Historical Museum, we need to expand our volunteer program. Our most immediate need is for volunteers as Museum Docents. The Museum is a pleasant and rewarding place to work. You will also see many of your friends and neighbors from time to time.
Most importantly, you will be helping our very small staff carry out the important areas of work for which they are responsible, without interruption. We cannot emphasize enough, how important our volunteers are to us.
Would you be willing to volunteer three (3) hours (or more) each month, on either a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, to help us? Your time could be scheduled either in the morning from 10:30 AM until 1:30 PM or from 1:00 PM until 4:00 PM.
To be fully staffed with volunteers in just the areas above, requires between 50 and 60 people each month. This does not include volunteers in the other areas working in collections, doing research and restoration work. Please give your thoughtful consideration to this appeal. Please call the Museum at (276)728-4113 and sign up right away.
Areas for Volunteering
• Reception desk – Greeting visitors
• Floating volunteers who go from area to area to make sure things are running smoothly
• Work in the Museum Store helping customers
• Marking new merchandise
Programs / Education
• Docent – Conducting Tours
• Doing research for docents training and gathering background information on programs
• Preparation for programs and workshops
• Sewing, cutting, sorting, coloring, gluing, etc.
• Helping with demonstrations like cornshuck doll making
• Suggestions for new program ideas
Collections / Artifacts
• Sewing and mending garments
• Making textile tubes for quilts
• Making padded coat hangers
• Numbering artifacts
• Labeling artifacts
• Researching artifacts
• Cleaning artifacts
• Organizing books
• Data entry
• Doing research in the library
We would like to establish Living History Displays also. If you have an art or craft you would like to share with the public, we are looking for you.
If you feel you would like to be a volunteer, please call the museum at (276) 728-4113 for more information.
Latest posts by Carroll County Historical Society and Museum (see all)
- Rock Churches of Southwest Virginia - January 30, 2014
- Welcome To The Carroll County Historical Society and Museum Website - May 6, 2013